Disposable sys-whonix persistent settings

Does anyone know which file I need to edit, add or remove in order to avoid having anon-connection-wizard pop up every time I start sys-whonix? If I remember correctly it ran in the background when I did not run it as a disposable. I have been looking for quite some time, without any luck. I would appreciate any insight!

Edit:

You have to edit the file /use/local/etc/torrc.d/40*.conf and add ‘DisableNetwork 0’ (no quotes). My mistake was editing the file in sys-whonix itself, instead of in whonix-gw-15-dvm :stuck_out_tongue:

I figured it out two minutes after I posted this… I’ll edit my post for anyone else having the same problem.

1 Like

While it may be a good idea to make sys-whonix less persistent, there is actually some perstistence which Tor keeps for security reasons.
This includes for example your basic state file as well as your vanguards.state file.
You will find those along with some others in the /var/lib/tor directory, if Tor was fully bootsrapped in your sys-whonix AppVM.

While acknowledging that less persistence in sys-whonix sounds like a desirable feature, I personally would not trust a sys-whonix-DispVM without assuring that at least Tor’s state remains conserved.

The Tails project – which is not persistent by design – works hard on the problem to make the Tor state persistent.

2 Likes

I second what @wind.gmbh said.

Quoting from the whonix wiki:

Ephemeral Whonix-Gateway ™ ProxyVMs

Using DispVMs for both the Whonix ™ Gateway and Workstation in Qubes R4 does not increase security without any corresponding privacy downside, for the following reasons: [17] [18] [19]

• Using a DispVM for the Whonix-Gateway ™ results in non-persistent entry guards to the Tor network; behavior unlike the default configurations for Whonix ™, Tor, and the Tor Browser Bundle. Mathematically speaking, end-to-end correlation attacks are more likely to succeed when a user chooses many random entry and exit points in the Tor network, rather than semi-permanent entry guards which are only rotated every few months. [21] [22]
  • […]
3 Likes