Discussion on Purism

Not having Intel Boot Guard isn’t that big of a deal, lots of system don’t use Boot Guard

Boot Guard is the industry standard. The vast majority of laptops have it, even consumer laptops.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to claim that a Linux laptop with Heads firmware is a secure laptop, even if Fortune 500 companies don’t use it

Purism claims high security while being worse than the industry standard. They are selling a security product at a premium while having poorer security properties than the standard computers produced by Dell and Lenovo which you can buy for much cheaper. It is unreasonable to recommend it as a security solution over Dell Latitutde/Precision and Lenovo Thinkpad.

Purism doesn’t promise you the world’s most secure laptop

They do: The Most Secure Laptop: Librem 14 – Purism. This is right in their marketing material. They went out of their way to be worse than the standard then claim that they are the most secure.

They even claim it protects against firmware tampering when it does not:

They say that the key will warn you even after an attacker has flashed malicious firmware that will lie to you on the screen, conveniently ignoring the part where the firmware can also lie to the TPM to fool the key. They also pretended like other vendors did not already have protections against this.

They crossed every ethical line there is to be crossed.

2 Likes

I came up with a quick heuristic for figuring out how secure a piece of hardware/software is without having to dig into its technical details, and I want to get some feedback

The ultra-short version: Find out how much value it’s protecting.

Based on that approach, the most secure combination is Windows running on proprietary hardware. That’s what I see on every computer in every bank :slight_smile:

BTW, what is the goal of the current thread? Is there an actual question to be answered?

2 Likes

Honestly I think it might be good to show how Purism is a scam even at the technical level and not just the whole “not shipping stuff people ordered” issue.

People keep being like “Oh they sucks at delivering but I still believe in their mission and their product actually works” all the time which is very sad :slightly_frowning_face:. They are less secure than commodity hardware they rail against.

2 Likes

Honestly I think it might be good to show how Purism is a scam even at the technical level and not just the whole “not shipping stuff people ordered” issue.

Does it actually work? Some say “there is no such thing as bad publicity”, so the effect may be the opposite.

1 Like

What compelled you to order a Librem 14?

I was young and stupid and got scammed :sweat_smile:

This was way back when it was in preorder and I thought I was getting a secure product. I did get the product like a year after it was supposed to be shipped but it turned out that the $2000 was completely wasted on something way less secure than what I could get on eBay for less than $1000. Sooo yeah :sob:

I sure don’t want other people to waste their money like I did. Even if you do get the product, it doesn’t do what they tell you it does. In hindsight, I should have read through the Heads documentation before making my purchase decision and realize it was complete theatre from the beginning. But instead I just browsed this very forum and saw people shilling Purism, so I fell for it.

2 Likes

Do you still have the Librem 14?

I gave it to my friend as a novelty item :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is absolutely true that free software only allows for the potential for these things to happen. We still have to follow up on it as a society. With proprietary software, not even the potential exists.

Defending against this problem is described in this paper. I’ll admit that I don’t know how widely this solution has been deployed, but that’s how security research works: people find problems and describe them, industry takes some time to catch up. Most of the time it works out because newly described problems are generally expensive to exploit and once they become cheap industry has generally caught up.

Yes, they can do that. This is why I replaced the GPG key on my librem key with my own and reflashed the firmware I downloaded using a different device.

The librem key checks a HOTP with the TPM before the key is used. The PGP key is used only for files on the boot partition, not for checking the firmware.

I agree that the attitude that the FSF has towards firmware is unhelpful. I do want my firmware to be free software but that’s not something that we can fix at the level of package management. We need to manufacture Wifi cards that are supported with free software. I am hopeful that Purism will do this at some point because they have already demonstrated a willingness to work with hardware manufacturers with their work on the librem key. Personally, I keep the bluetooth/wifi hardware kill switch on “off” unless I absolutely need to turn it on for some reason - which has only happened once since I started using it.

No, you’re misunderstanding how it works. The librem key only checks a HOTP with the TPM during boot. It also happens to operate as a smart card, so it is common to use it to sign the boot file hashes which are checked by the firmware which is verified by the TPM. But you could sign the hashes with a YubiKey just as easily.

2 Likes

Yes, it is absolutely true that free software only allows for the potential for these things to happen. We still have to follow up on it as a society. With proprietary software, not even the potential exists.

No, this is not how anything remotely works. People can still do security research on proprietary firmware as usual. What do you think Binarly does?

Defending against this problem is described in this paper. I’ll admit that I don’t know how widely this solution has been deployed, but that’s how security research works: people find problems and describe them, industry takes some time to catch up.

No, this is not how anything works. You are misrepresenting what it is saying. You cannot fix the problem without Boot Guard. SRTM relies on having an immutable root of trust, and Boot Guard provides that.

The research paper explicitly spelled it out for you: TPM is a passive chip, it receives measurements given to it - it doesn’t do measurements on its own.

The solution to the problem outlined in there is literally Boot Guard. And yes, it is widely deployed.

I do want my firmware to be free software but that’s not something that we can fix at the level of package management.

Why not? Just load the firmware in with the linux-firmware package.

Personally, I keep the bluetooth/wifi hardware kill switch on “off” unless I absolutely need to turn it on for some reason - which has only happened once since I started using it.

This doesn’t achieve anything.

No, you’re misunderstanding how it works. The librem key only checks a HOTP with the TPM during boot. It also happens to operate as a smart card, so it is common to use it to sign the boot file hashes which are checked by the firmware which is verified by the TPM. But you could sign the hashes with a YubiKey just as easily.

The key doesn’t do verification. This is not how Heads even work. A piece of malicious firmware can just lie about the PGP verification. Himeno understood this correctly - this cannot be achieve with a TPM and a USB connected device. It’s impossible.

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s impossible for any entity to do security research on proprietary code. I’m saying that users can’t examine the code themselves or decide which entity they trust to examine the code. They have to rely on the developers to check the code thoroughly or select a third party to check it for them. In either case, there is a clear bias (note that saying that someone has a bias is not the same thing as saying that someone is acting in bad faith). When the source code is available for public inspection there is the potential for audits from a greater diversity of views with contradictory sets of biases, creating the potential for a more secure system overall.

Additionally, there will always be people who are in peculiar situations with specific needs that are not generally applicable. With free software, those people can choose to do the work themselves or hire some trusted party (potentially in a competitive market) to do the work. With proprietary software, they have to persuade one specific party to do the work. For this set of users free software gives them more options to maintain a secure environment.

It is possible I misunderstood you. I am going to explain my understanding of the problem and the solution proposed in this paper as clearly and succinctly as possible in hopes that we can get back on the same page.

The problem is that the TPM is receiving measurements from an untrusted source (the BIOS), and so the source could lie in order to trick the TPM into thinking that it is valid.

The solution described in the paper is that values which will naturally be in locations which are fast to access (such as the current program counter which is stored in a register) are used as some of the inputs. A program which wants to give inaccurate values needs to pull the fake values from somewhere else which will take longer. Therefore, the TPM can check how long it takes for the untrusted source to produce its values in order to detect whether or not the inputs are real.

The problem that we can’t address is categories of hardware which don’t have FOSS drivers at all. Refusing to ship proprietary updates, and instead relying on the pre-installed proprietary code, does not fix anything. If FOSS drivers are available then shipping them is good. But refusing to ship updated WiFi drivers is not going to make FOSS drivers suddenly appear.

It prevents bugs in the WiFi and Bluteooth drivers from being exploited by remote attackers.

I said that the key doesn’t do PGP verification. It checks a HOTP with the TPM, and the TPM will not unseal the secret required to generate a matching HOTP if an attacker has modified the firmware. (This is obviously related to the above discussion about whether the TPM can actually do this. The discussion about whether or not the key is valid is a separate point, so for the sake of this argument I assume that the TPM has this capability). It’s the same thing as checking an authenticator app on your phone except that the key is comparing the value for you. In fact, when setting it up it gives you a QR code so that you can use an authenticator app if you want. The key just makes the process more convenient and less error-prone.

Once you confirm that the TPM has not detected any tampering the firmware can be trusted to do PGP verification.

2 Likes

This is not how anything works.

The TPM receives measurements from the firmware. The firmware measures itself, see which version it is, what is its loading, etc and report that to the TPM. The TPM releases the secret if the measurements match. The TPM does not do any measurements itself. It is a passive chip. The research paper you linked says as much. This is even in the specs. There is no point speculating about a capability that the TPMs are known to not have.

The threat here is that a malicious actor will flash malicious firmware into the EEPROM, which will lie to the TPM. The firmware you originally have is assumed to be trusted in the threat model.

If an attacker has access to your device, and it does not have Boot Guard, they can just flash malicious firmware that will just submit false measurements to the TPM. The malicious firmware doesn’t need to pull any value from any random source. It just needs to lie. And Heads cannot protect against this.

On a normal set up, you have Boot Guard which has the signature of the OEM fused into the PCH. If an attacker tampers with the boot block which is protected by Boot Guard, the CPU will notice that the OEM doesn’t have the signature of the vendor and refuse to boot. It doesn’t even need to get to the measurement part to get caught. The measurements with PCR0, 1, 2, etc are to make sure that the firmware version has not changed (like in the case of a downgrade attack), that the firmware settings which are not protected by Boot Guard has not changed, etc. This is the defense against an attacker who will try to compromise you with a programmer.

2 Likes

The threat here is that a malicious actor will flash malicious firmware into the EEPROM, which will lie to the TPM.

“Technically, the TPM is passive and cannot actively read firmware, bootloaders, or other data. Instead, a read-only component of the BIOS called the CRTM sends a hash of the BIOS to the TPM, starting the chain of trust. This component is read-only to ensure that a modified BIOS cannot lie to the TPM about its hash.

Source:

3 Likes

What are you trying to prove?

What you have done here is linking a post which is correct if Boot Guard exists (as is the case with most modern computers), then try to use it as an argument against my point that the BIOS can be tampered with and lie if there is no Boot Guard, like in the case with existing Heads computers, including the Librem laptops.

The immutable part is the signature fused in the PCH (in the case of Intel Boot Guard) or CPU (in the case of AMD PSB).

The component that does measurements (at least the initial one) is the boot block (a.k.a the CRTM).

Intel Boot Guard and AMD PSB makes sure that certain part of the BIOS is signed by the OEM. This includes the boot block.

And attacker cannot mess with the boot block and make it lie because Boot Guard and AMD PSB are verifying it.

With Heads, there is no Boot Guard, therefore nothing is protecting the boot block, hence the boot block can be tampered with and lie.

1 Like

You may be right, I have not researched that part. The answer and the link in it don’t say anything about Boot Guard. It talks about CRTM. Another answer explaining about CRTM does not mention it either:

If the BIOS can lie about everything (including its own hash), then the TPM is useless.

1 Like

If the BIOS can lie about everything (including its own hash), then the TPM is useless.

The default assumption is that the BIOS from the OEM isn’t malicious so it wouldn’t lie. Boot Guard just verifies that a chunk of the BIOS is actually from the OEM (which includes the boot block), therefore an attacker cannot make it lie.

1 Like

New blog post from Jonathon Hall:

2 Likes

Hmm, the info is good but the font used in that blog entry is atrocious: the “3” looks like an “8”, and I wiped twice my monitor thinking it’s a speck of dust or lint on it! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree with the complaint about 3s looking like 8s (though the top loop is open for me).

I’ve noticed another quirk though, for some reason the lower case t is only X height (i.e. the same as lower case x). This has been true for as long as I’ve been reading their blog.

1 Like

Short video from Jonathon Hall of the Librem 16 using 4 displays: