Differences between these Qubes?

You had problems pinging from sys-firewall? Is it the default VM that was created during installation? Sounds like a bigger network problem.

Yes :neutral_face: You suggested that try it earlier, and I get 100% packet loss. I have also tried ping from sys-net and get 100% packet loss.

I don’t remember the tutorials instructing any sys-firewall or sys-net changes.

That sounds like a local network problem. And yeah, sys-firewall → sys-net are generally “set it and forget it” type of VMs. You can create them from scratch, but they are more or less ready to use after installing Qubes.

Do you have another machine that you can use to test your local network? Are you wired or wireless? Lots of variables. Break it down and test everything. Good luck sorting this out.

Thanks.

I found that my sys-net and sys-firewall can ping other domains. I don’t know why it would have trouble with duckduckgo but it does. So it is only a VPN problem as you suspected before.

I found the app install to be the easiest for more than one VPN provider. Very fast. Just think of it like you are installing the app on a regular Linux machine. Get that going in a new AppVM and then tackle one of the more advanced guides to harden your network. Good luck…

2 Likes