Desktop Customization (xfce)

I’d love to see a UI redesign for Qubes, since its unique system means it doesn’t work well with typical layouts and desktop managers. I even have some ideas I’d love to contribute*. However this all seems like a lot of work. If this draws manpower from the core project goals (e.g. security) I’d much rather stick with what we have, which users like you and I will find ways to cope with.

The main draw is the shortcut doesn’t present a prompt like whenever I shut down a qube via the Qube Manager. If you add an icon up there, a prompt is needed even more so than in Qube Manager. I can see the value in having the option, but it also adds clutter that some might see as redundant.

Thank you again for introducing me to it. Yes, it’s because I can go Win, type thunderbird (or proton thunderbird) then smash Enter. The focus gets directed to the new window, I keyboard my way through that, then Alt + Esc and move on to better things.

*e.g. a drag-and-connect network configurer map where qubes are represented by different colored Qubes logos (the blocky ‘Q’), with the inside color (or inner icon) of each Q representing different templates and the letter itself corresponding to appVM’s label color

Oh, Nice! I have some ideas myself. They maybe we should join the discussions of possible new interface components - being designed by Nina.

I had thought just of the same thing! What are the chances? :wink:

Yeah, i agree with you. That why this stuff needs to be tested with real users to see what they find easier.

A post was split to a new topic: Qubes Usability Discussion

I moved the Qubes usability discussion into a new topic since there is probably so much to say and it was getting a bit off-topic

Does anyone know if there’s something like redshift/night light/night
mode for dom0? It’s a function/program that makes your screen look
yellowy that’s available by default on basically all mainstream PCs
nowadays.

[dom0] sudo qubes-dom0-update redshift

:wink:

3 Likes

…and this is why I replaced the ‘Q’ icon of my start menu with the accessibility icon–to remind myself I’m basically handicapped when it comes to Qubes. Thanks, Sven!

Edit: redshift -O [temp value] doesn’t change the screen color. It says that it’s changing the color using method randr, but nothing ever changes. Maybe redshift simply doesn’t work given Qubes’ special setup (if so, what is it doing in the repo?)

Great minds think alike? I want to say that it’s because we both came up with an obvious and basic idea in hindsight, but this sounds way better!

1 Like

It definitely works. I have Redshift set up on my private laptop running Qubes (Thinkpad E495). While I was running with the default kernel dom0 could not alter the screen settings. Neither the color/temperature nor the brightness value. This was not only a Redshift issue. The usual hotkeys on Thinkpad keyboards didn’t work either.
I figured that I might need a more recent kernel and installing the kernel-latest package solved all my screen issues (I am still experiencing problems with suspend but this is another story).

See Redirecting… for info on kernel-latest.
Also note that I had to sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=remove kernel after I made sure everything was working as expected. Otherwise the next dom0 update might revert your system back to the old kernel.

Nope. Redshift works, running it 24/7. Maybe try ‘vidmode’ instead of ‘randr’? I use ‘randr’ though (both work). Tested with integrated Intel video and Nvidia discrete graphics on my Thinkpad P51 with R4.0.3

Unfortunately I know for a fact that a kernel upgrade will kill my suspension and hibernation, which is more important than redshift, so I’ll have to pass for now. Will keep this in mind though, thank you.

I tried doing redshift -m vidmode -O 3000 but this isn’t working either (other methods get stuck looking for ‘geoclue2’), but this might just be a kernel issue as noted by phl (I have an intel iGPU and a less powerful Nvidia on this laptop, but no clue how to choose which one. Currently on Nvidia (nouveau_modeset=0)).

Either way, since redshift would’ve just been a nice bonus and I don’t have the resources to deal with this now, I’ll revisit this later. Thanks, Sven.

What is the most secure method with zero chances of infecting dom0 to put custom wallpapers on laptop screen?

As far as I know the best way would be to open a browser in a disposableVM and search for your desired wallpaper. Either open it in a browser or some image viewer and go to fullscreen and then press the print button on your keyboard. Now you can save the screenshot somewhere in your documents or pictures folder (e.g. home/user/Pictures).

Via System Tools you should be able to select the wallpaper in your Desktop settings.

3 Likes

Load the image full screen, no title bar.
Take a screenshot

2 Likes

Did anybody manage to install a nice netload plugin for the xfce panel? Currently i have a bash script in a small terminal window in sys-net running which tells me the current network load each second, a graphical widget would be nice though.

2 Likes

Follow up: redshift works on Inspiron 5593 Qubes 4.1 without any configuration. It did not work on 4.0.3 on the same machine

2 Likes

I’m having an appearance issue. Whenever I use the anon-whonix qube the title on the window is unreadable like so:
redbar
I’ve tried going through different appearances to see if that would change the title but they don’t help much. I’ve also tried different window borders.

Can someone please tell me how I can just edit these fonts colors/title bar colors manually? I went into dom0 to look for .themes but couldn’t find it. Doing a find there didn’t get any results either.

1 Like

I’m all for hacks being discussed in the forum, but please keep GUI customization out of the main website. Linux GUIs are the source of endless bikeshedding.

It’s already out. Notice the documentation links about customization now redirect to the community external documentation

Reason for that:

Yeah that’s fine, community docs are designed to house stuff that doesn’t make the cut in terms of quality.

Not at all (sometimes that is the case because there isn’t someone full time like @adw to maintain them. It’s all volunteer run, but the difference is basically:

The main difference between core (or official) and external (or community or unofficial) documentation is whether it documents software that is officially written and maintained by the Qubes OS Project. The purpose of this distinction is to keep the core docs maintainable and high-quality by limiting them to the software output by the Qubes OS Project.

Taken from here: Core vs. external documentation

Anyways. This just to mention that yes, how do customize Qubes aesthetics-wise belongs to the Qubes Community Docs.

1 Like

Hello! Customization of my workspace is important for me, so I’m glad of discover this topic. In the past distros that I’ve used, for put in the tray softwares without the option (e.g., thunderbird, zotero, signal) I usually employed kdocker that works perfectly, at least in KDE distro.

Now on Qubes, obviously it doesn’t work installing it in a TemplateVM, but install anything in dom0 open same old concerns.
In your opinion, There’s a similar way to minimize in tray any software’s windows here? Install a similar program on dom0 may lead to issue and lack of security? There’s an XFCE alternative, as I’m running this environment now?

I apologize if it’s a yet discussed topic. Thanks in advance!