Dell XPS 13 - Suspend doesn't work

I’ve Qubes-os 4.1 on a Dell XPS 13. Everything is working smoothly except suspend. I’ve seen I’m not alone facing this suspend issue but haven’t been able to really find a solution on the forum.

Following the documentation, I’ve added mem_sleep_default=deep to the GRUB file but without noticeable change in behavior. The documentation isn’t specific on how we should add this option to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX setting : I put it at the very end of the string…

Suspend turns off the screen and gets stuck

On some devices suspend-to-RAM does not work and a hard power-off is needed to recover, because the system does not go into deep sleep. To get suspend to work, you need to add mem_sleep_default=deep kernel option. For legacy boot, or UEFI/legacy in R4.1+, add it to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX setting in /etc/default/grub, update the grub config, and reboot. In R4.0 with UEFI boot, you need to add it to every kernel= line in /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and reboot.

Has someone been able to fix this kind of issue ? With suspend not working, I’m obliged to shutdown each time I want to make a pause to avoid the battery running out…

1 Like

I am trying this with Qubes 4.2 on a 12th gen intel laptop (x1 carbon)

Fedora 37 live suspend/resume works out of the box. Weekly builds of Qubes 4.2 have newer drivers and kernel version but machine doesn’t come back from sleep. Will post solution if I find one.

Try Kernel 6.0.7

S3 Suspend works on stock Fedora 37 but not Qubes 4.1 or 4.2 (fc37)