Customize login window

Is it possible to customize the wallpaper and user image of the login window that is presented at boot?

I couldn’t find any setting, and forum and ddg searches did not produce relevant results, so I’m turning to you.

1 Like

Sure!

The program that is used for your initial login is lightdm.

Custom Wallpaper

The configuration file is at /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

There is a line (the only one uncommented for me) that points to your wallpaper image. Change it to whatever you like.

Custom User Icon

Dunno. Found this should work but i have not tried that.

3 Likes

Just needed to add default-user-image=/PATH/TO/IMAGE to the same file, under [greeter].

Thank you!

2 Likes

See also: Change default screen locker from XScreenSaver · Issue #1917 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub.

2 Likes

I was really referring to the lightdm login window, not the screensaver.
But this seems interesting and worth the read, thanks!

1 Like

I make changed to my wallpaper login screen in greeter.conf
but login screen wallpaper now give me black screen, and me changed not working.
how I can fix it

Not sure what could be, but certainly the file needs to be readably and by other users, maybe |you can change permissions by using something like:

chmod 755 /path/of/images.png

THat would give you complete access to the file and allow rest of system to read it If you want to ensure that you user dont mess it either use permissions 555 instead
that would give read only permissions on the file as well as the rest of the users !

Regards

Rod.-

As an artsy type I would like to know this too
:slight_smile:

I suspect this has something more to do with Coreboot or whatever BIOS/UEFI is running than Qubes, unless you mean the Qubes’ LUKS login screen before it gets to the user login

Either way, both would be cool to customize!

:smiley:

AWESOME thanks