Creating Standalone OS with the normal way

what if I have installed template by these steps:
-create qubes VM icon.
-choose the name and the properties of my iso.
-Launch the settings > advanced > Boot qube from cd room > from file in qube > choose my iso > start qube.

What is wrong with this method ?

what you did, isn’t the creation of a template. It’s more the creation of a “standalone qube” or a “qube with a live system”.

There’s nothing wrong. It’s the way, how I for example would install a Windows OS on/in a qube. I also have installed an Ubuntu qube in the very similar kind of way.

To install a (new) template for QubesOS you need to follow the steps written in the Qubes documentation. You can do this for a few template qubes only (Fedora, Debian, Whonix and some template creations by the Qubes community like kali, Ubuntu and some more).

2 Likes

Do you think this way is safe ?
if this way not dangerous way there are many complex methods to install windows and the a lot of other distributions.

Also, I installed Ubuntu with this way but I have a lot of issues for example can’t provide internet for this distribution.

I am confused … :upside_down_face:

Yes, it’s a usual function in Qubes to run Qubes that way. You can install as many distributions as your harddisk space and RAM can handle :slight_smile:

About the network settings on your Ubuntu qube: It always depends, what your way to the net outside is. So speaking from my ubuntu qube, it’s attached to sys-firewall and sys-firewall point to sys-net, so with their IP addresses, it goes like this:

internet ← sys-net (10.138.28.28) ← sys-firewall (10.138.5.50) ← Ubuntu qube (10.137.0.18)

Don’t be confused, your IP addresses (to be found in the qubes manager) of your qubes may be a bit different - doesn’t matter. Just use YOUR addresses (you found in the qubes manager) for the next steps on the Ubuntu OS:

When your Ubuntu is started, go to settings and network settings and there you’ll find a register “IPv4” - there you can choose “manual” for IP method and so you can insert the correct IPs as they can be found in your qubes manager, means:

address = IP of your Ubuntu qube
subnet = 255.0.0.0
gateway = IP of your sys-firewall qube

Then your network connection should be working again for this Ubuntu qube.

1 Like

How I know the recommended ram for any distribution for example “Ubuntu” ?

I only would use the following RAM counts:

2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768.

And to answer your question: it all depends on “how much RAM you have in your machine”. So speaking from my devices (both have 64GB RAM) - I always would give a Windows qube 16GB of RAM and a Linux qube 8GB of RAM…
If you have a 16GB machine, you should give Ubuntu 4GB and Windows (probably) 8GB. If you don’t have much qubes running at the same time, you also can spent your Ubuntu 8GB of RAM.
You also can change this whenever your qube is shut down.

1 Like

Thanks for all advises :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like