Create win10 on a USB stick while using Qubes

Continuing the discussion from What happens with disk encryption when you change OS?:

I’ve never had experience with this. But I’ve done it from a window computer. It should be quite easy with their media creation tool.

But in general if this is possible under linux, it should be possible to do under qubes. The only difference is that you have to attach the USB to the qube where you’re downloading windows.

If it’s not possible to do under linux and you have no windows computer to use just to create the windows installer then the only other option I see is to install windows under Qubes use that to create the windows USB. But that’s quite an adventure.

But in general if this is possible under linux, it should be possible to do under qubes.

Just search for “create windows 10 usb linux” and you will find several
ways to accomplish this.

1 Like

Just a heads up - some of the methods available are a little out of date (since most machines require FAT32 format USB to boot and one of the windows releases grew a .wim file to over 4GB, which is the limit of filesize on FAT32). the method that works most reliably for me is having a FAT32 boot partition and then a second partition as NTFS with the > 4GB file on it.