Can't get vpn to work

No dns does not work with the vpn (the same as before). Just when I specify that nslookup should use 1.1.1.1 it works in ivpn-proxy and appvm

But curl works in appvm, right?
Then firefox works as well?

no only the curl ip.me and the other 2 work (without telling what dns server it should use). Everything else does not. The same as in the start

https://zx2c4.com/ip works in firefox in appvm?

Yes. Ipleak.net also works. it shows that the mullvad dns is leaking. (appvm —> tasket-ivpn—> tasket-mullvad)

Ok, seems like it’s MTU issue once again:

Try to run these commands in ivpn-proxy:

sudo ip link set dev eth0 mtu 1420
sudo ip link set dev <your ivpn wireguard interface> mtu 1340

And this command in appvm:

sudo ip link set dev eth0 mtu 1340

And check if other sites in appvms firefox will start to work.

UPD:
I’ve changed MTU from 1360 to 1340.

I can reach youtube. But ipleak.net still shows dns leak

And what DNS does it show?

from tasket-mullvad. But duckduckgo finally loads with the mtu change

What’s the output of this command in mullvad-proxyvm and in ivpn-proxyvm?

iptables -t nat -L PR-QBS -n -v

mullvad

sudo iptables -t nat -L PR-QBS -n -v
Chain PR-QBS (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
   54  3944 DNAT       17   --  vif+   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53 to:100.64.0.31
    0     0 DNAT       6    --  vif+   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53 to:100.64.0.31

ivpn

sudo iptables -t nat -L PR-QBS -n -v
Chain PR-QBS (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
   70  5000 DNAT       17   --  vif+   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53 to:1.1.1.1
    0     0 DNAT       6    --  vif+   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53 to:1.1.1.1

What if you run these commands in ivpn-proxy and check the dns with ipleak.net again?

sudo iptables -F PR-QBS -t nat
sudo iptables -A PR-QBS -t nat -i vif+ -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 9.9.9.9
sudo iptables -A PR-QBS -t nat -i vif+ -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 9.9.9.9

mullvad dns leaks. I am still using the tasket-vms. With unmodified autogenerated wireguard .configs
So no icmp disabled? trough qubes-firewall and no custom dns hijacking rules.

Also tasket-ivpn ----> sys-firewall----> sys-net

There DNS also does not work. Only mullvad works…

I was curious since I never got any issue with tasket’s script using Mullvad, so I bought iVPN for a week to test it out.

• I cloned a debian-11 template to install wireguard and openresolv
  • I created a new AppVM where I installed tasket vpn scripts using the iVPN wireguard config I generated

Now the VPN works, no DNS leaks on https://ipleak.net too.

1 Like

What do you mean does not work? The same problem that it works for sites like ip.me but not youtube etc?

Did you setup tasket-ivpn using new clean qube or did you use the one that you previously used to setup VPN using mullvad guide?

I… already forgot… wait will get a fresh appvm and repeat

… fresh appvm also does not work. I will restart my computer and network. If it still does not work I will try a debian tasket.

did you use wireguard? How was the ivpn config configured?

which port? which dns server? ipv4 and 6? Maybe even the country and server. I am desperate

Yes I used wireguard and I generated the configuration here.

I followed this installation guide I kept from some time ago, it’s simple to follow.

Port 2049, standard dns server, IPv4 and IPv6. I tried Germany and Netherlands

So what exactly does not work?
In this setup:
test-appvm → tasket-ivpn → sys-firewall → sys-net
Can you ping 9.9.9.9 or anything else from test-appvm? Does curl/firefox ip.me work in test-appvm?