Can not boot from USB - NUC10i5FNK

I have tried multiple USB sticks and tried both dd in Linux and Rufus in Windows.
I can boot fine to the installer on other machines but my NUC only flashes some messages then restarts.
The UEFI troubleshooting guide did not fix my problem.

When I’ve commented out noexitboot=1 and mapbs=1, I get errors about the IO-APIC timer but after setting the noapic option, I still get Panic on CPU 0.

Has anyone had similar problems? I’m struggling to get much more info because in most cases the writing goes past so fast before restarting

Maybe this could be it?

Or this

Thank you for this, it pushed me to not give up!

I manged to get Qubes to boot in Legacy mode so I figured it was a UEFI configuration issue but changing BOOTX64.cfg to every concievable option only caused varying errors.

Ultimatly I got UEFI working with the default BOOTX64.cfg settings by enabling Legacy Boot in the BIOS. This I found really weird. I was definitely selecting UEFI boot in alll incidents and here is what happened:

• UEFI boot from USB wiith Legacy Boot turned off in BIOS: Get white messages on black screen but then screen goes black and freezes.
  • UEFI boot from USB wiith Legacy Boot turned on in BIOS: Boots to installer and allows me to install Qubes.
    *UEFI boot to SSD with Legacy Boot turned on in BIOS: Boots, allows me to unlock the drive then works.
    *UEFI boot to SSD with Legacy Boot turned off in BIOS: Boots to the moment just before asking for passphrase to unlock drive then screen goes black and freezes.

So I guess this resolves my problem as long as I leave the Legacy Boot option enabled. I’ve now got to deal with extra problems of the embedded NIC and graphics not working with kernal 4.8.5 so need to update this using a USB NIC apapter!

Thank you to @ludovic for all the detailed information.

2 Likes

I’m happy you managed to figure it out. Feel free to open additional topics of other issues you may have and can’t figure on your own.