Can I install Qubes on External SSD?

I finally got a computer that meets the requirements of installing:
-VT
-16GB Ram
-Intel i3
-128+GB SSD

Anyway I wanted to install Qubes onto the internal SSD then take it out and run it like a external SSD with a SATA to USB cable after its installed. After reading and hearing posts about USB ports being blocked by default or something makes me question if this is even possible?

Is it possible to run Qubes from SSD with a SATA to USB cable?
I just don’t like the idea of having a hard-drive I can’t remove quickly and have been longtime Tails user and someone that tweaks and hardens my linux installs. Really want to learn VM’s and Qubes seems like a great option that also includes things that meet my needs that I’m looking for out of box (hardening, security, Tor, many options). I’m not a noob but also not an expert linux wise as I don’t really have experience with VM’s.

I am using a Qubes installation on an external SSD (SAMSUNG Portable T5), connected via USB. I directly installed Qubes (versions R4.0, R4.1, R4.2) on it, and installation and usage worked resp. work flawlessly.

A SATA disk connected as you describe should work the same way, as the system sees it as a USB disk.

1 Like

I would also recommend installing, the way you intend to use it. The installer looks at the configuration and might disable external USB-drives if it’s not used during installation (as a security step) - so installing as an internal drive and then taking the drive out, might cause you a lot of trouble …

1 Like

@ChrisA:

I would also recommend installing, the way you intend to use it. The installer looks at the configuration and might disable external USB-drives if it’s not used during installation (as a security step)

Ok this is good to know. So in my use case I would just plug in SATA to USB cable thats plugged into the SSD after booting into the flashed qubes USB. Then select the correct drive to install.

@GWeck
I am using a Qubes installation on an external SSD (SAMSUNG Portable T5), connected via USB. I directly installed Qubes (versions R4.0, R4.1, R4.2) on it, and installation and usage worked resp. work flawlessly.

Nice! Is there any difference in using an “external SSD” compared to using a 2.5 SSD (Kingston) as an external SSD with a SATA-to-USB 3.0 cable?

by data not sure, reality not much different.

I didn’t test such a configuration, but it should make no difference.