Building Archlinux core-qrexec-vm target not found, could not open pacman repos .db files

Hi,

I am trying to build the Archlinux (4.0, fedora-33) template according to the instructions at:

But I have run into a number of problems. First, when I try to run
make core-qrexec-vm

it says no target found for core-qrexec-vm. I looked at ‘make help’ and core-qrexec was not listed as a component.

Ignoring this, I went ahead to ‘make template’. However, the process seemed to hang, so I checked the logs (qubes-builder/build-logs/template-archlinux.log), and it turns out there was an infinite loop due to this error:

error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/community.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: target not found: base
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root
==> Creating install root at /mnt
==> Installing packages to /mnt
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core downloading…
extra downloading…
community downloading…
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/sync/community.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: target not found: base
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root
==> Creating install root at /mnt
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core downloading…
extra downloading…
community downloading…

What does this error mean? Am I missing an utility for .db files?

Hello @Qgsf ,
I saw this error today, look the first error in qubes-builder/build-logs/template-archlinux.log.
For me it was the http://mirrors.evowise.com mirror which returned an error:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
 community downloading...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.evowise.com : The requested
 URL returned error: 429

I checked the evowise mirror in a browser and got:

Error 1006
You are being rate limited
What happened?

The owner of this website (zerobounce.net) has banned you temporarily from accessing this website.

I removed the *.db files and I removed this mirror from the mirror list, then I continued the build.

Note that it will fail later in the build with the pulseaudio-15 dependency, this is a Work-In-Progress issue #6807 (but not yet released). I built the final template, but It wasn’t an easy task…

Hi @ludovic ,

Since you mentioned ‘first error’ I went back to the top – and it turns out I ran into something different. Sorry about missing it earlier. This might be the real problem instead:

/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpmbuild/tmp/rpm-tmp.NCUBrL: line 31: cd: qubeized_images/archlinux-minimal: No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpmbuild/tmp/rpm-tmp.NCUBrL (%build)

RPM build errors:
    line 23: It's not recommended to use '>' in Obsoletes: Obsoletes:  qubes-template-archlinux-minimal > 4.0.6-202108152130
    Bad exit status from /home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpmbuild/tmp/rpm-tmp.NCUBrL (%build)
make[1]: *** [Makefile:56: package] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  --> Downloading Archlinux bootstrap tarball (v)...
--2021-08-15 17:30:03--  https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/archlinux/iso/latest/archlinux-bootstrap-2021.08.01-x86_64.tar.gz

It seems like I did not have a problem with the mirrors, since I got ‘connected’ and ‘OK’

I don’t know the origin of this failure…

Someone else?

I never tried the archlinux-minimal target, only archlinux, I suggest you try first with the archlinux target (in the ./setup task).

1 Like