Beast Mode: Thinkpad P1 Gen 4 or Thinkpad P15 Gen2

Nearly 4 or 5 years ago I rolled the dice on a monster high spec xeon thinkpad P51 and just crossed fingers it worked out the box - and it did!

Well, it’s time to roll the dice again and push the frontier! Looking for an 6-core xeon or 8-core i9 with 64GB minimum (prefer 128GB) thinkpad.

All the xeons have 4+ month lead time so my choice is down to a P15 Gen 2 or a ThinkPad P1 Gen 4 core i9. I am inching towards the P15 Gen2 w/128GB RAM (20YQ004TUS)

Only chance is to test them on Q4.1.

I know for certain I am not the only one who is interested in the outcome. Any opinions on which would give the best possibility of success?

Both are certified for Fedora and Ubuntu linux according to the PRF.

I realize the NVIDIA is not going to work that is fine.

It’s a gamble but I take it for the team I know for sure I am not the only one who wants latest spec. Any opinions on which to go for highest probability of success?

I’m working through setting up Qubes 4.1.0-rc2 on my new Thinkpad P1 (Gen4). Will have a HCL and some initial notes up later on.

I have the Thinkpad P15 Gen 2. It is the intel i9 chip with the nVidia graphics. Everything appears to be working fine I will upload an HCL soon.

Any news about the HCL?

I followed this too I recall the hcl was posted and because the graphics is pinned to tthe dgpu could not get external monitor working