Asus Zenbook 14 OLED (2022)

Asus Zenbook 14 OLED (2022)

Remarks on installation:

At first when I first started to install QubesOS it was very slow in booting to the USB and very slow in installation I waited over 4 hours for the installation to finish with no luck.

Then I removed the Intel nvme drive and replaced it with Samsung 980 Pro nvme and it worked with very smooth fast installation.

Remarks after installation:

The system running great however there are few notes:
1- WiFi doesn’t work. (you need Ethernet connection).
2- Speakers doesn’t work. (you need external speakers tested via HDMI or headphones tested through USB-C and they will work). ( I haven’t investigated on why it’s not working and how to fix it).
3- Suspend doesn’t work.
4- Intel integrated graphics might not be working, as the CPU goes up to 90% when high in graphics video is played, and the video playback is not smooth.
5- There’s is standing issue with high resolution displays 1951 :
to overcome it open System Tools>System Manger> Appearance >Settings> Window Scaling ( set it to 2x) and when using a debian template for qubes run the following command in a terminal before launching the app; it will fix apps scaling within qubes: (thanks to [gasull])

echo Xft.dpi: 144 | xrdb -merge

5- To have a natural touchpad scrolling,and to enable tapping do the following (thanks to DVM) :
In dom0, try to add Option "NaturalScrolling" "True" and Option "Tapping" "on" to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

You will have multiple blocks, add that line to touchpad like this:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "NaturalScrolling" "True"
        Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

Log off and log back in after editing.

Remarks on Asus Zenbook 14 OLED:

As you might already know the ram on this model cannot be upgraded, and qubes require a lot of rams, the more qubes you have the more rams you need; I would say to have a good experience with this OS you need at least 32GB of ram. and if you have 64GB it would be best.

Attachments

layout:
‘hcl’
type:
‘notebook’
hvm:
‘yes’
iommu:
‘yes’
slat:
‘yes’
tpm:
‘unknown’
remap:
‘yes’
brand: |
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
model: |
Zenbook UX3402ZA_UX3402ZA
bios: |
UX3402ZA.309
cpu: |
12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1260P
cpu-short: |
FIXME
chipset: |
00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:4621] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
FIXME
gpu: |
02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:46a6] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
FIXME
network: |
14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

• works:
    ‘FIXME:yes|no|partial’
    qubes: |
    R4.1
    xen: |
    kernel: |
    6.1.12-1
    remark: |
    FIXME
    credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
    link: |
    FIXLINK

3 Likes

As new user I have to contact the admin for any new edits so unfortunately you have to scroll-down here to read any updates:

Update to note number 4:
If you play high in graphics video, the laptop will hang and it will be a pain to restart.
however however don’t bail on the magnificent qubesos just yet, edit the qube settings of the one you play video with it, open advanced tap, pump up the memory to fixed high number 4000 MP might be enough add more vCPU around 5 is good and remove the memory balancing, and you’re good to go to play 1080p

Thank you @fugafodag for your HCL report, which is online now!

Thank you for posting this! Instantly the integrated trackpad came to life, on my several years older model. I can click by tapping now, after logging in again.