Apple iMac A1419

Remarks

• sys-net appears to only work in paravirtualized (PV) mode
  • sys-net needs broadcom-wl proprietary drivers installed for BCM4360 wifi card to work.
  • Everything else seems to work quite nicely.

Attachments

Qubes-HCL-Apple_Inc_-iMac15_1-20211119-200041.yml (1020 Bytes)
Processing: Qubes-HCL-Apple_Inc_-iMac15_1-20211119-200041.cpio.gz…

Qubes-HCL-Apple_Inc_-iMac15_1-20211119-200041.cpiogz (10.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you @alzer89 for another HCL report, keep them coming!

@ninavizz maybe this one can get you reasonably excited? It’s running R4.1. :wink:

1 Like

I need to open this to look at it, but I do have an archaic MacBook Pro I’d LOVE to format and turn into a 4.1 machine. Will totally look into this once I have some downtime, thx for flagging!!! <3

@ninavizz, there are a few things I’ve discovered when trying to get things comfortable working on Apple hardware:

The wifi is usually Broadcom

• If you don’t know what that means, you soon will :smirk:
  • People still haven’t figured out 100% how they actually work (they’re at about 80%)
  • As a result, you’re wholly reliant on the drivers that Broadcom made. “Take them and go, and stop complaining…”
  • They sometimes don’t play nice with Qubes OS…

There are usually only one or two USB buses

• This makes USB passthrough a pain
  • If you want to give a Qube a USB port (for example, for a printer, gamepad, etc.), you have to also give it the internal keyboard and trackpad. So, you can pass through the printer, but then your face will go :flushed: as soon as your mouse suddenly stops moving.

Depending on how old the hardware is, they might be permanently vulnerable to certain exploits.

• If you’re familiar with Spectre and Meltdown (a quick online search will get you informed), Intel have basically not patched the microcode for CPUs in most Apple hardware built before circa 2010.
  • There is a chance that your “archaic MacBook” has one of these CPUs.
  • In short, it means that things could potentially escape from your VMs.
  • It also means that Qubes OS 4.1 might not even boot on these machines, because the kernels use microcode that doesn’t exist on those CPUs. (I’ve encountered this on at least 6 Apple machines)

All of these issues have workarounds

• Whilst it may not run as intended (and I definitely wouldn’t do anything mission-critical on them), there are definitely ways to get them to at least boot.
  • Don’t expect it to be a smooth ride, though :grin:

I’m more than happy to help you out in getting it up and running.

1 Like