Any easier way to install ubuntu or kubuntu?

I read a bit on how to install ubuntu… Are there any easier ways perhaps?
Otherwise i can try what i read on it… thanks.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to Install Any Linux Distro from an ISO on Qubes

I read a bit on how to install ubuntu… Are there any easier ways perhaps?
Otherwise i can try what i read on it… thanks.

Maybe this helps (never tried):

However, let me just point out one thing. Perhaps you are new to Qubes OS and have been using Ubuntu before and are used to it. If that’s the case, I’d suggest you start out with the debian template. It’s pretty similar and you won’t have any frustrations as everyhting is well integrated by default.

A lot of people come into Qubes thinking they’re going to run their favourite linux distrubutin or even windows without an issue. That’s generally not the way to go. One should start with the default templates (debian-10 and fedora-33) and then move from there. Just a tip :wink: (not sure if this is your case).

1 Like

Thanks! I will try it out. :slight_smile:
I would use debian over ubuntu any time! But it’s this one software that i think needs ubuntu. I have not tried if linux mint would work, or other dists…
Why can’t you install whatever distro you want btw? Curious! It’s almost like VMWare right. But set up with xen… Is it not possible to just install any iso in qubes? If not, why?
And could you experts make that happen? That would be great!

Do you know why i get this?
I’m trying to send from untrusted to dom0. How can i solve it if you know? Or someone else. Thanks

sudo qvm-run -p untrusted 'cat /home/user/Downloads/focal.rpm ’ > focal.rpm
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/qvm-run”, line 5, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/qvm_run.py”, line 199, in main
args = parser.parse_args(args, app=app)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/init.py”, line 384, in parse_args
action.parse_qubes_app(self, namespace)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/init.py”, line 170, in parse_qubes_app
namespace.domains += [app.domains[vm_name]]
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py”, line 91, in getitem
if not self.app.blind_mode and item not in self:
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py”, line 114, in contains
self.refresh_cache()
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py”, line 61, in refresh_cache
vm_list_data = self.app.qubesd_call(
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py”, line 687, in qubesd_call
raise qubesadmin.exc.QubesDaemonNoResponseError(
qubesadmin.exc.QubesDaemonNoResponseError: Service call error: Request refused

that just wont work - sudo doesn’t play nicely with redirects.
qvm-run -p untrusted 'cat /home/user/Downloads/focal.rpm ' > focal.rpm
should do provided you can write to the directory where you are running
that command.

Why would you want to do that? You shouldn’t be trying to install “focal” in dom0… You install software in templates (the standard template if the software is “trusted”, and a copy of the template if untrusted), and then run it in an appVM based on that template.

@Narvey the focal template itself comes in a RPM that get’s installed in dom0, just like the Fedora, Debian and Whonix templates that come with Qubes OS.

oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize there was a template for it. Isn’t there a safer way to install community templates, like there is a safer way to install i3?

If it’s hosted in the ‘community-templates’ repository like e.g. Whonix it’s as easy as

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community

However, for historical reasons the Qubes OS project decided it cannot make pre-build Ubuntu templates available. This has something to do with Ubuntu’s licensing.

So there are two ways to get focal installed:

1. Qubes Builder … build it yourself
  2. Unman’s packages … he did it all for you, but you have to trust him.

My recommendation:

1. Figure out if you really need Ubuntu and why or if standard Debian does the trick
  2. If you still think you need Ubuntu, give @unman’s template a spin and see if this solves your needs
  3. If it works and you need it, go build it yourself
1 Like