Any distro template

Is there anyway to make templates on any Linux distro.? I found this Linux but it was very confusing and I have no clue what to do.

1 Like

After you install Qubes OS, you can create a standard AppVM with enough disk space needed to compile the whole of the Qubes build system, then open that AppVM and follow these directions.

It’s not really a beginner project unless you have compiled a Linux OS before, as Qubes is a rather complicated OS. On top of that you need to know how to build the target OS flavor of Linux you want in your new template.

I would strongly disagree. While Linux kernel has somewhat 30 millions lines of code, Qubes has only several thousands (!).
It’s just… different. But more than simple comparing to any other modern OS

1 Like

I would strongly disagree. While Linux kernel has somewhat 30 millions lines of code, Qubes has only several thousands.

That would be true if you only had to build the bits for what makes Qubes so different. To actually build the full distribution you need to be able to build multiple OS’s plus Xen and all the connectors that make it work cohesively. And then to figure out how to package it up, or install just the individual pieces you actually need.

For any newbie who has never built an OS before it’s not that simple. We should not try to make anyone feel that they are incompetent if they fail to do so on the first try.

Btw- The Qubes development have done a wonderful job of putting all this together despite the complexity needed to do so. I can’t help but marvel at all the hard work they have done.

1 Like

I’m having a hard-time doing it. Can someone provide a step by step guide(e.g. opensuse)?