An in-depth ME-'free' laptop thread

How do you know, though? So are you telling me that there is no difference between the default bios and firmware, and coreboot then? It should be nothing there in the hardware… If you are right. :slight_smile: So how do you know it predates amd psp?

Ok, so they can still spy on people with the default firmware then? Even if there is no AMD PSP in the hardware? How would that look like? It’s not a separate cpu and they could not download stuff as with intel me even after the machine is off then right?

So could not users in theory see the traffic then? Or would that be hidden, and how would that look like? Just asking. Kinda curious. Thanks

True, but the point is i they still spy on people. and how. And how users would remove that with the default bios. Would they have to install coreboot for that to go away then? Thanks Peace

:wink:

1 Like

Ok thanks Sven. But how would AMD and the default laptop integrate that do you mean? Do they really sneak in backdoors by default in g505s laptops then? Bios and some blue pill rootkit in the bios then? Is coreboot needed to remove that was my question. I think it’s lame that they spy on every user just so they can see how people think and study the world… Without paying 500 dollars an hour at-least to every individual.
That, plus be clear in the TL:DR that they spy. Nobody would buy a laptop ever again. People would build their own laptops.

If want Qubes believe raphael answer apply:

How would build ME-free laptop?

What @renehoj said: you can’t know unless you verify, to verify you need open source (like coreboot).

Everything else is a waste of time because all you do is guessing.

2 Likes

Couple of years ago Dell accidentally made a “Without Intel ME” configuration option available to the general public (this is how some state organizations request their laptops being that way). This is what they said about it later:

*Dell has offered a configuration option to disable the Intel vPro Management Engine (ME) on select commercial client platforms for a number of years (termed Intel vPro – ME inoperable, custom order on Dell.com). Some of our commercial customers have requested such an option from us, and in response, we have provided the service of disabling the Management Engine in the factory to meet their specific needs. As this SKU can also disable other system functionality it was not previously made available to the general public.

So yeah, the general public is not supposed to buy Intel machines without Intel ME… there is a reason for that…