Accidentally attached a USB controller to sys-net

Hi, I attached one of my usb controllers and couldn’t control anything and I think it’s worth noting that my Qubes installation is located on an external SSD which means it might be controlled by the same usb controller I attached to sys-net. I had no other choice but to hold the power button until it turned off automatically (to my knowledge). I then turn on my pc to find out I have an unusable Qubes installation, here’s the errors I get shortly after I enter my disk encryption password:

EXT4-fs error (device dm-4): __ext4_get_inode_loc:4713: inode #8925205: block 35652385: comm (lightdm) : unable to read itable block

That message another 3 times

EXT4-fs error (device dm-4): ext4_journal_check_start:61: Detected aborted journal

EXT4-fs error (dm-4): Remounting filesystem read-only

Then all that stays for what I assume to be an eternity

Any help would be very appreciated.

This is one of the problem if you have external drive as logical volume, try add qubes.skip_autostart in kernel option when you at grub, so your kernel option is something like ............rhgb quiet qubes.skip_autostart

2 Likes

Thanks so much I was about to just reinstall qubes, you saved me. Do you mind telling me how to permanently add that boot option?

simply add it to grub files /etc/default/grub then sudo grub2-mkconfig /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg (UEFI + 4.1) / grub2-mkconfig /boot/grub2/grub.cfg (MBR + 4.1) I don’t know which version you are, figure it out yourself.

This item though does bring up a point which I wondered about - feature request? Block outs (that are user configurable even) which perhaps could prevent accidentally assigning anything like this in the future? Selection invalid due to prohibition? Since we cannot be entirely sure what can happen in such cases…?

Presumably a temporary assignment is not certain compromise but it sure doesn’t feel comfy when you do unintentionally assign an untrusted item (USB anything which some of us trust far more than others of us do) to a trusted resource (sys-net which of course is not a singular unchangeable thing in this environment of full configurability).

1 Like

Mostly, the problem is since installation perhaps, lets say i have 1 drive + 1 usb (or external ssd like op say), and users want to make /boot partition in usb drive, which is we set the bootloader on flashdrive of course.

Anaconda will always add the rest of space to make partition and add into the qubes_dom0 volume group. There’s no way to configure that if you choose automatic configuration.

Then the installation goes on, you set up everything, then in the desktop you accidentally remove the usb drive, that’ll make system crash because some lv are detached while system is running.

There’s nothing wrong with usb controller here, we are the one who don’t know.

Same issue shaky.

However, I made the mistake of creating usb-sys in DOM0 knowing that Qubes is installed on an external usb-nvme. When I started “files” in the domain usb-sys - as also described in the doku DO NOT DO IT - the keyboard froze. The only thing left to do was a hard reset. I know, it was a stupid mistake.

If I understood correctly, it can be fixed with “rhgb quiet qubes.skip_autostart”. During boot I tried it in advanced options but don’t know how to save the change.

Luks is enabled.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.