AMD Ryzen 5 5625U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir/Cezanne Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Barcelo [1002:15e7] (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:b852]
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
  'no'
versions:
  - works:
      'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
    qubes: |
      4.2.0-rc3
    xen: |
    kernel: |
      6.1.43-1
    remark: |
      FIXME
    credit: |
      FIXAUTHOR
    link: |
      FIXLINK

Very fast for an affordable business laptop. Installation was easy. Everything works out of the box using 4.2.0-rc3 usb image. Wireless and suspend was not tested.

2 Likes

Thank you @holycat for your HCL report, which is online now!

UPDATE:
64GB upgrade working
Suspend is working except for having to reconnect the ethernet
Builtin Wireless requires loading drivers which I have not done.
Instead used a compatible usb wifi that was lying around the house which doesnt require me to install drivers.
External 4k monitor with usb c on a lenovo usb c dock working. Qubes detects everything on the lenovo hub.
HDMI 4k working
Fan turns on when needed otherwise its quiet as most of my work does not require hardware demands.
Detects all cpus (AMD)
Audio, microphone and camera working
All keyboard shortcut buttons work
The performance is incredible compared to an 8th generation intel I had used with Qubes 4.1
Battery performance is between 4 - 8 hours depending on my application in use.
Business laptop with frequent bios security updates for up to 5 years

I’m a brand new user and your contribution compelled me to go get this laptop but…it seems like this OS version seems to be hidden by HP. 01.06 and 01.08 are there but not 01.07. I even called support and nada clue.
Might you have a copy of it laying around?
Also…are there additional steps to getting AMD-Vi active? There’s a general virtualization checkbox in the bios but nothing beyond that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

It’s strange because bios version 1.07 was on the laptop when purchased. I updated the laptop a few months later. I’m currently on bios v1.10 with no issues running Qubes 4.2

On HP website I couldn’t find version 1.07 as you described however 1.10 is available for download.

How do I verify AMD-Vi is active? I didn’t need any additional steps to install Qubes 4.2.0 or on 4.2rc3.

Ok. Under the Qube tools menu in Global config the Qubes OS Security Report shows
everything is activated with a green check mark except a yellow mark for TPM 2.0 (not supported yet).

layout:
‘hcl’
type:
‘Notebook’
hvm:
‘yes’
iommu:
‘yes’
slat:
‘yes’
tpm:
‘2.0’
remap:
‘yes’
brand: |
HP
model: |
HP ProBook 445 14 inch G9 Notebook PC
bios: |
U78 Ver. 01.10.00
cpu: |
AMD Ryzen 5 5625U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
FIXME
chipset: |
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir/Cezanne Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
FIXME
gpu: |
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Barcelo [1002:15e7] (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
FIXME
network: |
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:b852]
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
‘no’
versions:

• works:
    ‘FIXME:yes|no|partial’
    qubes: |
    R4.2.0
    xen: |
    kernel: |
    6.1.75-1
    remark: |
    FIXME
    credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
    link: |
    FIXLINK

Thanks for the new HCL report. I just opened a pull request to add it to the HCL database.

Best,

Flavio

1 Like

Instead of waiting for the kernel to support the internal wifi card I might upgrade the card to an intel ax201. I’ve seen reports that this works with qubes without any intervention. I’ll update this post with the results.

So I installed latest kernel on Dom0, sys-net and sys-usb instead of exchanging the wifi card. With kernel 6.6.9-1 now installed the internal wifi card is working well no longer requiring an external usb wifi or a new wifi card.

UPDATE: The screen is wonderful. It’s bright and clear without requiring the settings to be at full. Actually i’m using it right now at its lowest settings controlled by the f3 and f4 dedicated short key. The battery at this brightness level can last 6 hours with wifi however I can achieve 7 hours using ethernet. The battery can last almost 8 hours when solely on idle.