System 76 Galago Pro 6 - HCL

• One of the best features of the G6 is the high resolution display but the backlight is only illuminated at about half of the full value.
  • Wifi networking is intermittent. Sometimes the module is recognized and sometimes the sys-net devices identifies it as Intel “unknown.”
  • Qubes Updater is still suceptible to attack and can be neutralized. This has been a persistant problem for me on multiple platforms and OS versions since before 4.0.4 (now at 4.1.1).

Processing: Qubes-HCL-System76-Galago_Pro-20230301-181756.yml…

layout:
‘hcl’
type:
‘laptop’
hvm:
‘yes’
iommu:
‘yes’
slat:
‘yes’
tpm:
‘unknown’
remap:
‘yes’
brand: |
System76
model: |
Galago Pro
bios: |
2022-11-21_b337ac6
cpu: |
12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1240P
cpu-short: |
FIXME
chipset: |
Intel Corporation Device [8086:4621] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
FIXME
gpu: |
Intel Corporation Device [8086:4626] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

gpu-short: |
FIXME
network: |
Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

• works:
    ‘FIXME:yes|no|partial’
    qubes: |
    R4.1
    xen: |
    kernel: |
    5.15.94-1
    remark: |
    FIXME
    credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
    link: |
    FIXLINK
1 Like

Thank you @procShield for your HCL report, which is online now!

Do you consider this related to your hardware? I am somewhat surprised to find this as a comment in the HCL report.

But since you mentioned it, could you please link to the respective thread in the forum or qubes-issues ticket? I am not aware what you speak of.

I suppose I am just unfortunate to have joined the military(Information Warfare)/NNSA family. I find that our best civilian security is like obsidian to warm butter for them. Everyone in incredulous, but I am only reporting what is happening to me. The S76 hardware is brand new. Sometimes the wifi is available in networking but most recently it now never is. I don’t know how this happens. I did verify the software according to the Qubes directions. Master signing key on t-shirt pictures, etc, etc. Great lengths to ensure validity. How would you suggest I gather more information about how the updates are blocked or why the wifi module can be recognized but then can be made unrecognizable? It’s EM Spectrum Dominance and Navy “NSA” for all I know doing it. Should work fine…

How is this relevant? It’s an unverifiable claim from an anonymous poster.

Again, this is not the thread for it. Where did you previously report your observations or ask for help?

I am not entirely convinced you are serious, but for now I’ll assume you are just not very skilled regardless of having “joined the military(Information Warfare)/NNSA family”.

Let’s start by you either linking to or starting a new thread in User Support where you describe:

1. Did you do any configuration that wasn’t “default” when installing?
  2. What are the versions you are running?
  3. What are you observing?
  4. What are you expecting to be observing?

It’s a good thing I am unverified/anonymous because your estimation of my skills might negatively impact my reproductive opportunities IRL. How would you be able to identify me? Ok, can you solve the issues I raised since your skills far surpass my own? At least the backlight will be an issue for anyone else trying to install Qubes on this platform. The wifi might be as special case.

1. configurations are default

2. Versions of what? All info is listed in the HCL

3. I am observing that the brightness is half of the default, normal brightness found in other OS. I have observed that the wifi was operational for a few runtimes but now the wifi cannot be found in networking.

4. I expect full brightness if not adjustable illumination and for the wireless to always work and for updates to be timely and successful.

@procShield, I specifically reacted and quoted to:

And pointed out that it is:

a) weird to include in a hardware specific report and
b) that I haven’t seen you report or provide any details for these claims

Hence I requested you to please link to the ticket or forum thread where you have brought this specific concern to the community to be analysed and if necessary addressed. I am NOT saying you haven’t done this but simply asked you to point to it (I guess to save me the trouble of searching for it).

Instead of addressing this simple request you answered by posting more unverifiable claims / FUD.

As for your hardware related troubles, that’s another issue entirely. But those aren’t security concerns or indicate compromise – or is that what you are claiming?

There must be some miscommunication. People that can’t identify me IRL think I have no “skills”
because it seems that neither you (a “maintainer”) nor they know what HCL is = “Hardware Compatibility List.” Look at all the listed hardware specifics generated by the yaml from Dom0 (qubes-hcl-report). I pasted in the report because the upload was blocked. It is the same information. From what I have heard on the forum, submitting specifics about hardware doesn’t even matter because they are just specific to an entire general series (at least several thousands of units) of processors, components, and company product platforms. I am not giving anything “away.” The information is used to improve QubesOS and to help troubleshoot issues that would effect anyone with the same hardware. You’ll have to explain more what your difficulty is or else it seems that the entire world software community just exists to put down my efforts. Look up any of the other topics raised by @proShield. That’s not hard to do and you keep on repeating that you can’t find where I have raised these questions before. I’m not going to keep responding to you about what I have clearly expressed. I am looking for solutions that if answered would help anyone else who wants to use Qubes on the same hardware. There are no ‘hardware’ difficulties (are you innuendo and insinuating or something? This is not the place for that. You have no network way to ID me IRL as an individual contributing to a software community). I think you are weird yourselves. Whatever. I am only interested in solutions.

I agree. I find myself unable to follow. Thank you for your report, I hope you’ll find solutions to your troubles.

I have installed R 4.1.2 and the same issues persist. Everything looks fine but there still is no way to adjust the illumination and the wifi module is not added to the networking qube but the ethernet is so I am wondering if there is a driver for Alder Lake wifi since Fedora 37 works with this hardware and Qubes foundational system is derived from Fedora. Can I get Fedora drivers onto a USB and then install them in the networking qube? If so, how would I do that? Thanks for your solutions.