Acer Predator PH315-54

Hi,

This is my first post, so sorry if anything is weird.

Remarks

Disk: I managed to install without any issue when it arrived, but I think it was luck. After installing a second nvme and a sata disk, nothing booted. Even the installer stopped working.
Some time later I discovered it was Intel VMD.
To disable it, go on the BIOS, select “main” and ctr+s. A new set of options will appear where you can disable that.
Also, you can disable secure boot by setting an admin password, disabling secure boot, then disabling the password. This BIOS is awful.

GPU: installs and boots fine, but getting an external monitor to work has some caveats. You can probably live with nouveau no external monitor is attached.

state of defaults: nouveau+xorg is currently broken for RTX 3060 (will update if I find a proper bug report). It shows a frozen screen where you can only see the mouse moving over a frozen window. I reproduced this on Ubuntu as well. Somehow it works on Wayland, but not on xorg.

So, I installed nvidia proprietary drivers version 525 to get the external monitor working. Had also to install the xorg driver for the nvidia driver, as described in the docs.

Machine performance is solid. 19k passmark points inside a vm with smt=on and cpufreq=none, but obviously not recommended.

I will keep an eye for that xorg+nouveau bug and if it gets fixed I will try the defaults again.

Attachments

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  Acer
model: |
  Predator PH315-54
bios: |
  V1.14
cpu: |
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9a36] (rev 05)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9a60] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  NVIDIA Corporation GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] [10de:2520] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Tiger Lake PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 11)
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 2600 (rev 21)
memory: |
scsi: |
  SanDisk SDSSDH35 Rev: 4000
usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    6.1.6-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

3 Likes

A quick update on sound issues. Headset microphone was not working so I found this similar bug report: 211853 – Realtek ALC295 external headset microphone not working on Acer Spin 5 - SP513-54N

Sent a patch to the kernel: [PATCH] ALSA: hda/realtek: Add Acer Predator PH315-54

If you don’t want to recompile, add snd_intel_dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 snd_hda_intel.model=alc255-acer on kernel boot until that lands.

1 Like

Thank you @ful0n for your HCL report, which is online now!

Sorry for the delay!