[qubes-users] HCL report for i7-12700 on MSI B660M-A DDR4

Here’s a HCL report for my new workstation.

In the end it seems to work except for the integrated GPU, but I had to address some issues both in the installer and when booting after installation.

For the installer, the X failed to start. I had to add i915.force_probe=* so that the internal GPU is recognized (I haven’t tried the discrete GPU, I plan to have that only for OpenCL stuff). After that the installer works, but the GUI has strange artifacts that make it difficult to use - but I managed to get it installed.

After installation, the system does not reboot correctly and/or displays “no dom0 kernel image specified” message for a short moment. Apparently the firmware does not recognize the boot option. I manged to get it fixed by doing this, I think Qubes R4.1 no proper boot device - #13 by 51lieal, I think. I tried multiple things, but this is what got it working IIRC. FWIW the UEFI troubleshooting guide mentions files that do not exist in 4.1, which is confusing.

So the last thing that needs fixing is the broken GUI (photo attached - should have taken screenshot). With the discrete GPU it seems to be working fine, but I planned to use that for something else. It’s also interesting in Fedora 37 the GPU seems to work just fine, and that’s actually kernel 6.0.8, while in Qubes it’s broken even with 6.0.12 (from kernel-latest).

regards

Qubes-HCL-Micro_Star_International_Co___Ltd_-MS_7D43-20221222-154915.yml (861 Bytes)

3 Likes

OK, after a bit of googling I found this Graphics artefacts with Intel UHD Graphics 770 and kernel 5.17.7 · Issue #7507 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub and adding the config to xorg.conf.d

Section “OutputClass”
Identifier “intel”
MatchDriver “i915”
Driver “intel”
Option “AccelMethod” “sna”
Option “TearFree” “true”
Option “DRI” “3”
EndSection

made the GUI artifacts go away. The disk passphrase is still broken, but I can live with that (actually, I think it’s broken even on my laptop and I don’t really care).

FWIW I haven’t tested audio yet, but it seems to be detected correctly etc. at least.

regards

2 Likes

Thank you tv.fuzzy one again for your HCL report, which is [online](Hardware compatibility list (HCL) | Qubes OS) now!

/Sven