HCL - Tuxedo Aura Gen1

Can’t upload files yet, but the Tuxedo Aura Gen1 does work with Qubes if you are willing to do a few things. First I’m pretty sure I had to update the BIOS which allowed for some advanced settings. In one of the AMD tabs, there is the “NBIO” setting which can be used to enable IOMMU.

I had some stability issues due to the Auras horrendous fan control. Workaround: Disable CPM and set performance mode to “Quiet” in the BIOS.
This allows my device to idle around 55 degrees Celsius. More testing required.

Update: After updating to kernel-latest the stability issues seem to have subsided. There are still some issues with the fan control - it can be done in BIOS (i.e. setting medium to 75C and fan to 80 or such) but it’s not very good.

I don’t want to install an electron app using npm in dom0 however.

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  TUXEDO
model: |
  TUXEDO Aura 15 Gen1
bios: |
  1.07.08TTR3
cpu: |
  AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir [1002:1636] (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
memory: |
scsi: |
  Samsung SSD 860  Rev: 4B6Q
usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.15.52-1
  remark: |
    1. Update BIOS to version 1.07.08TTR3 instead 1.07.08TTR1
    2. Enable advanced BIOS settings
    3. In one of the AMD elements go to NBIO and activate IOMMU
    4. Set performance profile to 3 (Quiet)
    5. Set Core Performance Boost to Off
    6. TPM might be possible to activate in BIOS

NOTE: System crashes were imminent if the performance profile is not set to 3
    and CPB is not turned off - possibly due to overheating.
  credit: |
    S.N.
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

2 Likes

Hi @snufkin, welcome to the Community! Thank you very much for your contribution to the HCL.

I see that you updated the above post. Some people, including some core developers, are interacting with this forum via email. They do not receive the edits made after 10 minutes. For this reason, it’s better to make a new post, not update the old one.

2 Likes

Thank you @snufkin for your report, which is online now!

1 Like

Some further notes:

1. The BIOS options can only be found in the advanced bios settings - which do exist - but I don’t remember how to access them. Googling the issue has brought up nothing. I think it was a decision I could make after a BIOS update, but I can’t be certain.
  2. When you do enable IOMMU, Linux distributions on the hardware will only work while using “nomodeset” flag. This can be undone by rolling back to stock-bios options, however, then you will not have access to the advanced options anymore.
1 Like