Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 5

Remarks

Known Issues

• Wifi does not work (Fixed in next Kernel)
  • Screen tearing during LUKS decrypt when using Hybrid GPU Mode. Switch to Discrete GPU Mode, notes below.
  • Have not tested camera or microphone. But microphone is picked up.

I believe the wifi issue is known to the Qubes team and will be fixed soon.

Installation

This section might be irrelevant in the future when Nouveau fully supports the RTX 3050ti mobile

Due to the Nvidia GPU not being fully supported by Nouveau, default installation results in a black screen. To fix this follow these steps to disable Nouveau during installation. Installation troubleshooting | Qubes OS

• Troubleshooting guide is a bit confusing. You need to press e to get into edit mode and then add the parameters after the word quiet on the second last line. Press control +x to boot!
  • GUI rendering will be very slow, have patience
  • Make sure you use Hybrid Graphics in the bios
  • Consider allocating more memory (512MB) to the integrated GPU for a smoother experience
  • Secure boot might need to be disabled
  • There is no legacy mode on this device, it is fine to boot in UEFI mode as long as you disable Nouveau in Grub

Integrated GPU Screen Tearing

At the time of writing, on Kernel 5.18.16-1, there are rendering issues. The current workaround is to add the following file into X11. Make sure to reboot afterwards!

Section "OutputClass"
Identifier "intel"
MatchDriver "i915"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

Reference: Graphics artefacts with Intel UHD Graphics 770 and kernel 5.17.7 · Issue #7507 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Nvidia Usage

When using Hybrid Graphipcs Mode, you cannot use your Nvidia GPU at all. This means the HDMI will not work and your screen refresh rate will be limited to 60 HZ. You also cannot change the screen resolution.

You can use the Nvidia GPU, but you must switch to Discrete GPU Mode. This comes at the cost of battery life, but you will get a much smoother experience.

From a fresh installation, I could not get it to work no matter what. But I finally got it to work with the following steps.

1. Create the config file above for Intel in X11 (Not sure how this is relevant, but this is what worked for me)
  2. Important - Remove the Nouveau disable in the grub from installation
    1. In dom0 edit /etc/sysconfig/grub
    2. Locate the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line and remove the parameters you added during the installation to disable Nouveau
    3. Run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg
  3. Switch to Discrete GPU Mode in the bios

Attachments

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  LENOVO
model: |
  21DE003JKR
bios: |
  N3JET24W (1.08 )
cpu: |
  12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:4641] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  NVIDIA Corporation GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] [10de:25a0] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.18.16-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---
2 Likes

Thank you @syspacket for your HCL report, which is online now!

Update: Wifi is now fully functional!