100% cpu with every scroll in LibreOffice

And another extremely annoying bug: Xorg takes 100% cpu with every scroll and it’s extremely slow using Libre.
Maybe I should ditch Libre and move to another Office suit?

Same for me, I wonder what can be done here.

So far I had terrible UX when trying office software in both Debian and Fedora.
Saving also takes a long time. I had crashes. Some crashes which required starting the VM i n a new VM Template. I’m not gonna use Google online for office uses. I’d rather use Windows in a VM or Gedit.
EDIT: looks like it only happens when many windows are opened at the same time. So I should increase the RAM for the VM?

Looks like it doesn’t use more than one core.

Looks like OnlyOffice is even worse and crashes almost right away…
Very disappointing… Last resort is to use Microsoft Office. Will it work in Fedora somehow?

never (if without wine or other compatibly layer), you need to install windows vm then install m$ office as normal

I’m not having that problem with LibreOffice on my system. I’m running KDE and monitoring load with Task Manager, CPU Load Monitor and System Load Viewer. It fluctuates between 5-15% Running LibreOffice in a Debian AppVM with Qubes 4.1 on a Librem 14 machine.

[edit: I had 8 or 9 VMs running in the background at the time]

No issues with libreoffice at the moment, running it in fedora 34 vm and debian 11 vm, usage is 1-2% of cpu. Thinkpad

My document has 400000 lines. Maybe that makes the difference.

Minor detail, eh? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Does it happen with small documents? For me, it does! A tiny two-page LibreOffice Writer document uses 100% CPU with simple scrolling. It’s extremely laggy, too. The process using the resources is

/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 -nolisten tcp vt07 -wr -config xorg-qubes.conf

I haven’t run into this issue. I use the debian testing version though (debian-12, libreoffice-7.2.3-2).

It seems to be slightly better in Debian 11 despite the Libreoffice version being 7.0.

How did you install the testing version? The documentation doesn’t say how.

To get a debian-12 template, I just cloned the debian-11 template, changed sources.list to point to bookworm, and apt dist-upgrade-ed.

Before upgrading, you may want to pin pulseaudio-14.2-2 (apt-mark hold pulseaudio). Otherwise it will upgrade to pulseaudio-15, which is incompatible with qubes-pulseaudio-4.1.23, and you may lose sound

Works much better if you turn GPU acceleration off everywhere. Should be like that out of the box I think.

Could you tell where exactly I should turn it off?

It is deep down in menus, so there is a hack: “libreoffice --safe-mode” , and there is configure option to disable all accelerations. Please share your experience if it did help. I would say we should have this setting pre-configured in all templates.

I’m having the same problem. When disabling all acceleration as suggested it gets slightly better, but still unusable:
Xorg is closing in at 100% CPU consumption with a blank document and just a little scrolling.

This is on Qubes 4.1, Debian-11 and (which may make the difference) running a 5k display. However, this is decent hardware (NUC with 11th Gen i7, 32GB RAM, Iris Xe). On my old 4th Gen i5 with Ubuntu on it everything is super-fast.

1 Like

Hm, 5k display, it is what is was worrying about – if Qubes will handle it well (thinking about hw upgrade and 5k2k)