$100 bounty for getting Qubes running on laptop: Asus ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070

I’m getting the black screen of death when I try to boot Qubes 4.0 or 4.1 from a flash drive on this laptop

I can send a $100 crypto bounty for someone who helps me get it running

Thanks

Hello, you need to be a bit more specific: What have you done exactly? BIOS info - what did you check from the requirements? Which tutorial did you follow, and where did the black screen happen? First time you tried, or subsequent?

I’ve have had reasonably stable experiences getting 4.0 and 4.1 running on a couple ASUS branded motherboards, intel chipsets, though.

What was your process of getting the usb install drive? Did you deviate from the Qubes website’s instructions at any point? Have you verified another known good machine can get to the installation prompt using that usb?

What options did you change in the BIOS, if any? Has this machine run with any OS installed at any point?

At what point in the boot procees is it failing, as far as you can tell? Are you getting any diagnostic output anywhere? What about the q-codes? Does your motherboard have a small LCD on it? Is that showing a number when it fails?

Those are my initial thoughts, but Raspyvotan is right that a lot more detailed info is needed.

Any Luck or updates I have a very similar laptop and am running into a similar issue.

At what point do you get the black screen?

You can try an ISO with kernel-latest:

After attempting to booting from my flash drive from BIOS UTILITY instead of the blue qubes installation prompt that says "install qubes ", test media and install qubes , “Troubleshooting” . I get an almost identical prompt in GNU GRUB(black background) and if I try to proceed normally and install my laptop restarts and boots into the same prompt within GNU GRUB

What happens when you press on “Install Qubes” menu item in GRUB?
It start to boot with text on the screen and then you’re getting black screen and your laptop restarts?
Or after you press on “Install Qubes” you’re getting black screen and your laptop restarts?

i get a black screen no text then laptop restarts

It seems to be the problem with your video drivers. You can try out a few things:

1. You can try to install Qubes from the newest ISO build with kernel-latest. Maybe your problem was fixed in it.
    You can download latest one from here:
    https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/39523/asset/iso/Qubes-20220507-kernel-latest-x86_64.iso
  2. You can try to add nomodeset in kernel options for “Install Qubes” item in GRUB menu.
    Example on how to add it:
    Disabling NX in Linux via Kernel Parameter (using GRUB) - David Hamann
  3. You can try this fix for UEFI:
    UEFI troubleshooting | Qubes OS
  4. Maybe it’s a problem with USB flash size:
    UEFI troubleshooting | Qubes OS
  5. If you have NVIDIA then you can try out this fix:
    Contents/nvidia-troubleshooting.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub
1 Like